3218Calling Washington and Oregon Native Bee People

  • Droege, Sam
    Mar 14, 2014

      I got the email below from Zorah Oppenheimer who is looking for connections with native bee people in the Pacific Northwest so that she can have greater impact in her work with pollinator friendly land conservation.   If you have specimens for her or live nearby she would appreciate the help (Reminder:  Just remember those who gave you a helping hand when you didn't know anything about bees....).

      Respond directly to Zorah as she is not on the list...

      Her email follows...

      I’m located in Vancouver, WA and I work for Clark Conservation District.  We are a quasi-government organization working towards conservation of natural resources.  We are promoting native pollinators in the area by educating local landowners.

      I’m looking for two things:

      1.       I’m looking for a list of all of the pollinator insects.  I’m looking in SW Washington specifically, but I would happily take a list of North American pollinators.  Do you have anything like that or have any suggestions?

      2.       We want an insect display that will show the public what common pollinators look like.  Do you have any suggestions for where to source local insects?  It seems that I can find rare butterflies, but not simple mason bees and other more “boring” pollinators.

      Zorah Oppenheimer

      Clark Conservation District

      email: zoppenheimer@...

      phone: 360.883.1987 ext. 118