3211RE: [beemonitoring] New paper about bumble bee decline, no decline in other bees in Northeast US

  • Stoner, Kimberly
    Mar 5, 2014

      Thanks to those who sent me copies of the paper.  I’m not sure I can post the paper online, due to copyright, but here is the link:

      www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1218503110

      Historical changes in northeastern US bee pollinators related to shared ecological traits

      1.    Ignasi Bartomeusa,b,1,

      2.    John S. Ascherc,d,

      3.    Jason Gibbse,

      4.    Bryan N. Danforthe,

      5.    David L. Wagnerf,

      6.    Shannon M. Hedtkee, and

      7.    Rachael Winfreea,g

      Pollinators such as bees are essential to the functioning of terrestrial

      ecosystems. However, despite concerns about a global

      pollinator crisis, long-term data on the status of bee species are

      limited. We present a long-term study of relative rates of change

      for an entire regional bee fauna in the northeastern United States,

      based on >30,000 museum records representing 438 species. Over

      a 140-y period, aggregate native species richness weakly decreased,

      but richness declines were significant only for the genus

      Bombus. Of 187 native species analyzed individually, only three

      declined steeply, all of these in the genus Bombus. However, there

      were large shifts in community composition, as indicated by 56%

      of species showing significant changes in relative abundance over

      time. Traits associated with a declining relative abundance include

      small dietary and phenological breadth and large body size. In

      addition, species with lower latitudinal range boundaries are increasing

      in relative abundance, a finding that may represent a response

      to climate change. We show that despite marked increases

      in human population density and large changes in anthropogenic

      land use, aggregate native species richness declines were modest

      outside of the genus Bombus. At the same time, we find that

      certain ecological traits are associated with declines in relative

      abundance. These results should help target conservation efforts

      focused on maintaining native bee abundance and diversity and

      therefore the important ecosystems services that they provide.