3189Re: [beemonitoring] 5 month bee identification position available

  • Leo Shapiro
    Feb 20, 2014
      I am absolutely certain he was joking.

      Or perhaps he meant "…a great tolerance of tedium"  BUT organizing and identifying bees--the very antithesis of tedium--will be the primary task.

      On Feb 20, 2014, at 9:51 AM, "Droege, Sam" <sdroege@...> wrote:

      I can't believe you put the word "tedium" in the same sentence as "organizing and identifying bees"....

      “We believe that it requires great enthusiasms to deal accurately with little things; and that it is, consequently, impossible to meet with a reasonable or sober entomologist.”
             Edinburgh Review, 1822
      (Found in the preface to The Thermal Warriors: strategies of insect survival, by Bernd Heinrich.)

      On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 3:42 PM, T'ai Roulston <thr8z@...> wrote:

      Please pass on to anyone you think would be interested.

      Bee Technician Wanted, mid April to mid September. Northern Shenandoah Valley, Virginia.

      Primary responsibility: organizing, processing and identifying bees captured in passive traps as part of a study examining the effects of plant composition of warm season grass meadows on bee abundance and diversity.

      Qualifications: Highly organized, independent, some experience identifying bees at least to genus with a microscope, and a great tolerance of tedium (organizing and identifying bees will be the primary task).

      Position is an internship with the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute with a stipend of up to $2000 per month. The intern will work primarily at the University of Virginia's Blandy Experimental Farm in Boyce, Virginia. Housing is available at Blandy if needed.

      Inquiries should be sent to T'ai Roulston (tai.roulston@...) at Blandy Experimental Farm (http://blandy.virginia.edu)

      T'ai Roulston
      Curator, State Arboretum of Virginia
      Research Assoc. Prof., Dept of Envi. Sci.
      University of Virginia

      Bees are Not Optional
      Apes sunt et non liberum

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic