3176Re: [beemonitoring] Re: Pinning only a set of vouchers

  • Droege, Sam
    Feb 12, 2014

      We often pin or glue to pins but don't label bees from projects.  Bees on pins are easier to ID and handle, but making out labels for things that are not kept adds a great deal of time.  You need to be careful about how you handle your databases, however, to make sure you have a clear system for not double counting bees and tracking what has and has not been saved.   So, for example, all our specimens are given numbers even if a label is not printed out.

      At some point, after your accounting and with great bless-ed assurance that everything is identified and dabased correctly you can recycle the pins to use again, printing out labels for specimens that will be kept as vouchers.

      I would suggest that everything stay on pins until you are completely finished...just to make sure there are no mistakes that you need to double check.  Guarenteed that you will make some mistakes on ID's or databasing that will require you to go back to the specimens that you thought you had finished with.

      Once you are ready to recycle your pins, here is what we do.

      1.  Push the bulk of the specimen body off the pin by roughly running your fingers down the pin while the specimens are pinned in the box, don't get anal about left over chunks on the pin.
      2.  Dump out the dead bodies from the box.
      3.  Pull the pins out of the bottom of the box, but leave them laying in the box
      4.  Dump the pins into a tupperware container
      5.  Cover pins with steaming hot water and add a big blog of dishwashing liquid.
      6.  Put on shaker table for 20 minutes.
      7.  Rinse out soap and remaining detritus
      8.  Pull pins out and let dry in a clump on paper towels

      sam

      On Discovering a Butterfly

      I found it and I named it, being versed
      in taxonomic Latin; thus became
      godfather to an insect and its first
      describer -- and I want no other fame.

      Wide open on its pin (though fast asleep),
      and safe from creeping relatives and rust,
      in the secluded stronghold where we keep
      type specimens it will transcend its dust.

      Dark pictures, thrones, the stones that pilgrims kiss,
      poems that take a thousand years to die
      but ape the immortality of this
      red label on a little butterfly.

      - Vladimir Nabokov

      On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Neil Stanley Cobb <neil.cobb@...> wrote:

      We use a 1 specimen/gender/site/sampling period/year formula as a “general rule” for our studies and for any study we target 30 total specimens per year (M & F) .  This is a general rule, if we have a highly variable taxa we might do more or a taxa that we think might be more than one species.  If you consider the cost of processing and storing it is not feasible for us to veer from this formula unless the project really needs lots of individuals.