3168Re: [beemonitoring] Restoring the Look and Feel of Bee Eyes and Folded Wings

  • Ben Smith
    Feb 9, 2014
    This is where I read about the ammonia:

    In the first link, the lighting looks to be a little better in the second image but still, the eye definitely looks better.

    It seems some experimenting should be done on "junk" specimens to make sure it doesn't do anything to the rest of it but seems like it would be worth exploring.

    I could pick up some ammonia and give it a try if you gave me some specimens. Perhaps you could send them with Jane next time she is out there and I could pick them up from her at Turkey Run. I suppose I could take the metro too...

    On an unrelated note, I am attaching two images of a home-made stepper camera mount I made for about 11 dollars. It is slow but it works really well.

    The first three images here http://www.flickr.com/photos/twiztedminds/ were done using it.

    The only out of focus spots are from my laziness in photoshop and combine ZP's inability to resize frames properly.

    On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Droege, Sam <sdroege@...> wrote:

    Recently, several people have mentioned processes using ammonia, Decon90, and TSP in various combinations to re-hydrate dried insects.  Mostly this has been done to things that shrivel, but it also apparently useful for refreshing the look of eyes that discolor once dried...or unfolding and relaxing body parts.

    Here is a good summary of such.

    I  am wondering if anyone has any first hand experiences with any of these products or something similar.  My impression is that for general relaxation of bees that a simple, steam in a closed container, with perhaps and antifungal agent is fine...but these other chemicals offer the possibility that some restoration of the look and feel of the eye surface may also be realized.  Perhaps fuming is appropriate here?

    One can see from our photographs of bees that a uniform surface color is generally (but not always) more attractive.

    All thoughts are welcome.

    Sam Droege  sdroege@...
    Much madness is divinest sense
    To a discerning eye;