316Re: [beemonitoring] The Soap Collecting Jar

    Jun 4, 2008
      Jack:

      I agree, in general...the soapy water collection does destroy all pollen and that has been a valuable contribution to bee natural history and thus collecting fresh specimens and placing them in the museum are always to be encouraged.  However, much of what we are doing are general surveys of relatively common species (though with surprises) and our limiting factor is usually time, so we are attracted to some of the bowl techniques.  In reality I almost always use both.  I put out bowls in the early A.M. and net collect through the day.  Each collection technique emphasizes a different fraction of the bee community.  The advantage of bowls for general surveys is that they are more replicable than following the ramblings, skill, and proclivities of a person with a net.

      In the end it depends on what your project and goals as to what combination you use.  In many circumstances a nice array of Malaise traps is really the ticket...but then these have a separate set of issues.

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      "...and though the holes were rather small, they had to count them all..."

      A day in the life.
      Sargent Peppers
      Beatles

      Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...>
      Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      06/04/2008 02:30 PM

      Please respond to
      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      Re: [beemonitoring] The Soap Collecting Jar

      Sam: I understand the utility of pan traps and the
      like for certain types of surveys, but I regret the
      generation of so many specimens with no biological
      information beyond it was there then. For bee
      biology, this is a step backwards. Hand collecting
      directly into soapy water, or alcohol or whatever, is
      a useful emergency technique but I would hope it would
      would not become a primary collecting method. The
      pollen that bees collect is valuable data and removing
      it as a matter of course, either as a byproduct of the
      collecting technique, or intentionally, as a matter
      of aesthetics or ease of identification, is something
      that should be discouraged. A rigorous analysis of
      diet breadth in bees requires pollen analysis and this
      is impossible for specimens that have been through the
      washer.

      best

      Jack
      ---