311RE: [beemonitoring] robbing

  • Cane, Jim
    Jun 4 9:20 AM

      Michael- I agree with your interpretation of behaviors and positioning on flowers that constitutes robbing or not.  I wouldn’t think you’d have Xylocopa micans (yet) as far north as Knoxville .  You could easily check those pollen loads (I presume you are talking about Vaccinium), as the pollen tetrads are distinctive relative to most anything you’d see there outside of the Ericaceae, I think.  If you have legit pollen foraging and pollination by X. virginica in blueberries, well, you’re opening a revised chapter in the story that will require some explanatory thought!

      Yours,

      jim

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University , Logan , UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      "Embrace entropy"