3104Seeking Collaborators: Invasive Plants and Pollinator Webs in Patagonia, WY, & WA

  • Shelby Wilson
    Dec 17, 2013

      Hello all, my name is Shelby Wilson and I’m investigating the impact of invasive flowering plants (below for specifications) on the species richness and assemblage of bee communities across three study sites. Sites are located in Aysen, Chile; Wyoming; and Washington state. Surveys will compare highly invaded patches with native patches and relate percent cover invasive/native to species richness, determined by pan trap captures.

      I am currently seeking support in species identification for the western US sites, with the potential for financial compensation (if necessary/desired) pending grant approval in February. Any support in the identification process would be much appreciated, and I will happily process and pin specimens for you. Current collaborators and mentors include Dr. Laurence Packer of York University, Dr. Douglas Morse of Brown University, and Dr. Dov Sax of Brown University.

      Please email: Shelby_wilson@... with any comments or inquiries

      Invasives of primary concern common to all sites:

                  Viper's Bugloss (Echium vulgare)

                  French Broom (Cytisus striatus)

                  Bind Weed/Morning Glory (Convolvulus arvensis)

                  Artichoke Thistle (Cynara cardunculus)

                  Sweet Briar (Rosa rubiginosa)

      Invasives of secondary concern common to all sites

                  Self Heal (Prunella vulgaris)

                  Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)

                  Bristly Ox Toung (Picris echioides)

                  Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale)