3102Beetles needed for SEM work

  • Droege, Sam
    Dec 16, 2013

      I have been in contact with Karl Gaff (copied) regarding doing some SEM work on insects.  I have sent him a variety of bees and wasps and he mentioned he would also be interested in working with beetle specimens.  This seems like the sort of thing that would be easy for some of us to support and I attached his message below.

      Please reply directly to Karl as he is not on the list

      Thanks

      To whom this may concern,

      I am looking to source a collection of beetles, as shown in the image below, to carry out high-resolution montage imaging on a scanning electron microscope (SEM) (Hitachi S-4300). In return of a donation, I would be willing to share my images and I can also scan any features of interest you may wish to see at different magnifications.

      I am based in Ireland and have access to a large range of microscopy techniques. I do scanning electron microscopy art as a hobby in my free time and you can view some of my images on my Flickr portfolio here  (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38484518@N07/), and my Behance portfolio here (http://www.behance.net/karlgaff).

      I would also be willing to scan any other types of insects which retain their structure when dried out or fixed by means of glutaraldehyde. The subject would have to be smaller than 25 mm as this is the diameter of my stub (the stage holder).

      Thank you and kind regards,

      Karl Gaff

      --
      Bees are Not Optional