3085Goldenrod and other Asteraceae as Fall's primary nectar source

  • Droege, Sam
    Dec 9, 2013

      I received the following questions from Dave Wagner who is writing up a paper on bees in New England Rights of Way.

      I am writing up a vegetation study under a transmission line ROW and we have good  data on Solidago and other nectar sources.  I wanted to add this sentence to the manuscript.

      “A second functional group, the composites (Asteraceae) provide much of the late-season pollen and nectar for wild bees and legions of other flower visitors: flower flies, wasps, pollen-feeding beetles, butterflies, moths, and others (Ginsberg 1983, Barth 1991, Discover Life 2013)…”

      Can you recommend a reference or a person that I might contact about goldenrod serving as a primary pollen/nectar source for late-season bees?

      So if anyone has any references regarding fall nectar sources and, in particular, the roll of Solidago that would be great.

      I would like to throw out this general observation from collecting that while Goldenrod is certainly worth hunting bees on and, at times, has interesting things like Perdita that its general attractiveness is less compared to Frost Asters.

      Thanks
      sam

      Flooded Meadow

                 Low dandelion leaves are zoned commercial,

      with their promise of puffballs to come.

                 Bits of dew spackle the high grass

      asymmetrically; they are sleek apartment windows,

                 skyscrapers are weeds.

                 Tall sprigs of goldenrod patrol

      the blown-down city line....

                 There is another world

      in this world, but it was not made for you.

                 Round oniongrass stalks are old monuments

      to persistence in hard times.

                 You could live up inside one

      and learn to like it, cramped quarters,

            & nbsp;    cooking smells and all.

                 Two bees report on traffic, warning listeners

      to the anemophily channel

                 as the natural disaster

      of humanity comes closer

                 every morning. Work while you can, they say.

                 - STEPHEN BURT

      Bees are Not Optional
      Ong là không bắt buộc
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic