3077Re: [beemonitoring] Estimating Bumblebee Numbers

  • Crystal Boyd
    Dec 5, 2013
      Hi, again. You could try getting in touch with Sheila Colla who led this bumblebee study. She mined museum data to extrapolate relative abundance. Sheila had ~44,000 specimens to work with, but maybe she could provide you with some thoughts/references.

      On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Crystal Boyd <Crystal.Boyd@...> wrote:
      Hi, Callin. I remember reading a paper about extrapolating insect populations from museum collections.  The problem with looking backwards (or trying to reconstruct baseline data) is that hand-collecting can be biased. For example, you might collect every large and interesting bee but avoid all the honeybees. Looking backwards, it would be hard to say anything more than absence or presence for honeybees, if that. Could you tell us about your bumblebee collections? If you collected every specimen you saw, or recorded how long you were at the arboretum, maybe we could get an estimate that way.

      On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Callin Switzer <uno_080@...> wrote:

      My name is Callin, and I was recently asked to estimate bumblebee numbers in the Arnold Arboretum, based on a dataset that I collected.  My study had nothing to do with estimating bumblebee numbers, but I'm wondering if anyone can help me make an educated guess.  Is it even possible to estimate bee numbers, when bees have been collected from flowers?

      Callin Switzer
      Graduate Student, Combes Lab
      Organismic and Evolutionary Biology
      Harvard University