3075Re: [beemonitoring] Estimating Bumblebee Numbers

  • Crystal Boyd
    Dec 5, 2013
      Hi, Callin. I remember reading a paper about extrapolating insect populations from museum collections.  The problem with looking backwards (or trying to reconstruct baseline data) is that hand-collecting can be biased. For example, you might collect every large and interesting bee but avoid all the honeybees. Looking backwards, it would be hard to say anything more than absence or presence for honeybees, if that. Could you tell us about your bumblebee collections? If you collected every specimen you saw, or recorded how long you were at the arboretum, maybe we could get an estimate that way.

      Best,
      Crystal

      On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Callin Switzer <uno_080@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      My name is Callin, and I was recently asked to estimate bumblebee numbers in the Arnold Arboretum, based on a dataset that I collected.  My study had nothing to do with estimating bumblebee numbers, but I'm wondering if anyone can help me make an educated guess.  Is it even possible to estimate bee numbers, when bees have been collected from flowers?

      Thanks,
      Callin

      --

      Callin Switzer