3068Re: [beemonitoring] Re: pollination improves strawberry shelf life

  • Heather Connelly
    Dec 5, 2013
      Great discussion! As part of my PhD work at Cornell on wild bee pollination of cultivated strawberry we found no significant differences in the effectiveness of the most common visitors (Andrena, Lassioglosum, Augochlorella, Ceratina and A. mellifera) when we observed visits to virgin flowers and compared resulting fruit weight. So far my data suggest that pollinator abundance rather than identity is more important for getting good yield.
      Lisa, I'm looking forward to the results of your mason bee work!
      Best,

      Heather Connelly
      PhD Candidate
      Department of Entomology