306Re: [beemonitoring] robbing

  • nancy lee adamson
    May 30, 2008
      Michael and other potential collaborators,

      I think it would be wonderful if we could try to standardize a methodology, but this is just my second summer, and I realize that the work I'm patterning my research on is based on many years of study and experience that I don't yet have.  I hope I've understood  the methodology well and apologize if  I'm misrepresenting it below.

      For monitoring visitation this year, I've been using a methodology patterned on Rachael Winfree's work, with 45 second visual counts of flowers open and visitors at open flowers each meter along a 40 meter transect.  I distinguish honey bees, bumblebees, carpenter bees (and now hope to see if I have something besides Xylocopa virginica here) and have grouped the rest into medium and small bees, plus, large, medium and small wasps, ants, Lepidoptera (noting species, if possible).  This is followed with netting at flower for 30 minutes for identification later to species.  For apples and blueberries, I tried to sample in the a.m. and the p.m. (Winfree used three sampling periods, I believe), though temperatures and weather didn't always permit this at my sites.  I also used bowl traps each day on site, recognizing that these trap a lot of non-pollinator species.  For squash, I expect to sample twice, but once very early and once later in the morning).

      I welcome suggestions, as I will be working on some vegetable crops and brambles later this summer, and could adjust the methodology.

      Nancy

      On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Wilson, Michael E <mwilso14@...> wrote:

      "Did you inquire earlier about trap nests? Have you incorporated that into your project?"

      Yes we did, but no use as of yet. My lab partner found another southeastern study where
      only wasps used trap nests. I don't know how effective they may be in the southeast.

      Anyone have any luck with trap nests in the southeast?

      One site has Osmia nesting in fences, but not utilizing the trap nests. I've seen some
      Osmia on blueberries where I put a trap nest, but no use there either. We have 10 of them
      out and will increase that substantially next year, depending on $&time.

      Sounds like a very different scenario at your locations too. Nearly all the bumble bees I saw,
      which where few, were queens. I would be willing to cooperate standardization of data collection
      if you, and others in nearby regions, would be interested in working together on that.

      -Michael Wilson