3041Colletes titusensis - "Missing" species found ... in Titusville!

  • Droege, Sam
    Nov 20, 2013
    All:

    After looking through specimens from Cape Canaveral National Seashore from their past year's collections.  I found 1 specimen of a male C. titusensis collected in a bowl trap in March in an area that they recently had burned.  This species was on the list of "missing" species in Eastern North America  published last year.  To be on that list you, as a bee, had to not have been collected or seen by anyone in the last 20 years.  Most of the species had always been rare and this was the case with this Colletes.

    The specimen was collected at a site that must have been quite close to the original collection locality for the species as the nearest town to Cape Canaveral is Titusville.  I am hoping the park will look for this species this coming spring for more specimens and do some investigating so as to at least understand its pollen preferences which would inform their vegetation management for the species.

    More information on this bee and the other interesting species there in the attached report.

    Pictures of the bee are located at:

    sam

    The Death of the Flowers

    THE MELANCHOLY days have come, the saddest of the year,
    Of wailing winds, and naked woods, and meadows brown and sere;
    Heaped in the hollows of the grove, the autumn leaves lie dead;
    They rustle to the eddying gust, and to the rabbit's tread;
    The robin and the wren are flown, and from the shrubs the jay,
    And from the wood-top calls the crow through all the gloomy day.

    Where are the flowers, the fair young flowers, that lately sprang and stood
    In brighter light and softer airs, a beauteous sisterhood?
    Alas! they all are in their graves, the gentle race of flowers
    Are lying in their lowly beds with the fair and good of ours.
    The rain is falling where they lie, but the cold November rain
    Calls not from out the gloomy earth the lovely ones again.

    The wind-flower and the violet, they perished long ago,
    And the brier-rose and the orchis died amid the summer glow;
    But on the hill the goldenrod, and the aster in the wood,
    And the yellow sunflower by the brook in autumn beauty stood,
    Till fell the frost from the clear cold heaven, as falls the plague on men,
    And the brightness of their smile was gone, from upland, glade, and glen.

    And now, when comes the calm mild day, as still such days will come,
    To call the squirrel and the bee from out their winter home;
    When the sound of dropping nuts is heard, though all the trees are still,
    And twinkle in the smoky light the waters of the rill,
    The south wind searches for the flowers whose fragrance late he bore,
    And sighs to find them in the wood and by the stream no more.

    And then I think of one who in her youthful beauty died,
    The fair meek blossom that grew up and faded by my side.
    In the cold moist earth we laid her, when the forests cast the leaf,
    And we wept that one so lovely should have a life so brief:
    Yet not unmeet it was that one, like that young friend of ours,
    So gentle and so beautiful, should perish with the flowers.

    - William Cullen Bryant

    --
    Bees are Not Optional
    Ong là không bắt buộc