3015Relative importance of pollinators

  • Crystal Boyd
    Nov 15, 2013
      Hi, everyone. I'm hoping to tap your collective wisdom on this beautiful Friday morning.

      How do you speak about the "relative importance" of the 4 major pollinating groups (bees, butterflies and moths, flies, and beetles)? I can explain the importance of pollen foraging and floral constancy in bees, but people are asking for statistics to compare the groups.

      High-level comparisons can be misleading, for sure. I'll point out that even if beetles aren't the most efficient pollinators, they are (of course) critical to the plants they are pollinating.

      Thanks!
      -Crystal
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic