3010Re: [beemonitoring] Do solitary bees drink water?

  • Crystal Boyd
    Nov 9, 2013
      What an interesting question! This article from 2008 mentions solitary bees and water:

      http://jeb.biologists.org/content/212/3/429.full.pdf

      Page 430:  It is not clear whether solitary bees drink water for their own needs,
      as distinct from seeking dilute nectar. Large aggregations of bees
      of various genera can be seen foraging at wet soil substrates in the
      tropics, then regurgitating and reimbibing fluid, and this may be a
      means of obtaining salts (Roubik, 1989).

      On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM, John Plant <john.plant3@...> wrote:

      Water-drinking solitary bees?

      I confess I have never seen solitary bees quenching their thirst on water.

      However, of course, females of Anthophora and other genera “collect” water to use for nest making.

      John Plant

      Vienna, Austria

      Sent: Friday, November 08, 2013 15:36
      Subject: [beemonitoring] Do solitary bees drink water?

      Hi,
      Do we know whether solitary bees drink actual water or may nectar provide all the water they need ?
      Any observations on the topic published in scientific journals?
      Thanks a lot
      Valérie

      ********************************

      Valérie Fournier, Ph.D.

      Professeure agrégée / Associate professor

      Département de Phytologie

      Université Laval

      Adresse postale:

      Centre de recherche en horticulture