2996Where do female bees go at night?

  • Frye, Jennifer
    Nov 4, 2013

      Hi all,

      I have been looking into the potential impacts of mosquito control larvicides to non-target organisms, including native bees (not honeybees).  I have heard it argued that because mosquito control activities are usually conducted at night (or at least at dusk), that the risk to bees is reduced because they are no longer foraging at that time.  The counter argument is that native bees may still be exposed to chemicals because they often spend the night at rest on flowers or plants.  I have seen Bombus males perched on flowers after dusk, and I can envision that male bees of solitary species do the same thing.  My question is do females do this as well?  Do solitary female bees that are actively laying eggs and provisioning their nests, tunnels, etc. with food resources also spend the evenings perched on vegetation, or are they more likely to be hanging out in their tunnels, tree cavities, or other nesting places? If anyone has observations or data on this topic, or any papers that address this issue that they could share, I would be very appreciative.

      Thanks very much for your help!

      Sincerely,

      Jen Frye

      Jennifer Frye

      Invertebrate Ecologist

      Wildlife and Heritage Service

      Maryland Department of Natural Resources

      P.O. Box 68

      909 Wye Mills Road

      Wye Mills , MD 21679

      Office: 410-827-8612 x102