2928Re: Peponapis/Xenoglossa

  • pollinator2001
    Sep 6, 2013
      --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, "Stoner, Kimberly" <Kimberly.Stoner@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > If they have not completely excluded eastern US locations, I have farms where I have seen and counted Peponapis pruinosa for three years running in CT. I could give them dates when we found peak numbers on pumpkins.

      In western NY, you can look for a long time for a single one on commercial farms. I know. I checked for five years in a row, and found one single one in all that time, and I checked often before daybreak, as well as checking closed blossoms later in the day for males. They simply are not in large fields.

      On the other hand, in garden plantings, you can often find 2-3 squash bees per flower.

      Dave Green
      Retired pollination contractor
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic