2914Re: [beemonitoring] Re: Carpenter bees and giant asian resin bees as my neighbors.

  • Leo Shapiro
    Sep 1, 2013
      The term "endemic" has a different meaning in medicine/epidemiology than it does in biology/ecology. In epidemiology, a disease that is "endemic" to a particular region is one that is regularly found and self-sustaining there (e.g., malaria is endemic in the southern portion of country X, regardless of how it got there). This usage is more similar to to the nontechnical one than to the narrower usage in biology (e.g., when a journalist writes  that corruption or unemployment is endemic among a particular group in a particular place, she says nothing about its origin or where else it may be prevalent, only that it is established and widespread). In biology, an endemic taxon is one that is native to an area and not found naturally elsewhere. One might note that whether a particular taxon is endemic to a region (in the biologist's usage) may also depend on the time scale being considered (though usually we are talking about historical times and where the taxon was present before humans appeared on the scene).

      On Aug 31, 2013, at 10:58 PM, Charles Guevara <icecilliate123@...> wrote:

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: Charles Guevara <icecilliate123@...>
      To: Liz Day <lizday44@...>
      Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:55 PM
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Re: Carpenter bees and giant asian resin bees as my neighbors.

         Hi, Liz, and thanks always for your comments.  Our  US/CDC is the source of the language: 'West Nile Virus now endemic to con-US states'.  Perhaps these population epidemiologists were being practicle/ as engineers often are with 'sludge-values and coefficients' ...perhaps a very evidenced-based and practicle community assesment is: 'if it is stabily here to stay..it is endemic'?  Vrs any sense of 'where an organism evolved'.  Thanks to our 'new normal' of globalized impacts on our dear biomes...I suggest you forget about criteria of: 'endemic applies to where an organism evolved'.  Totally my thoughts with no literature to cite.

         Are you suggesting to me that the mustang horse, the turkey bird, the strains of corn plants, the cotton plant , the potatoe...etc., etc., are not now endemic species in con-US?  This is great issue for this bee/pollinator forum...as so many 'stake holders in our systems food chain' wish to import species/ manipulate genes in species...and not be bothered with the concepts of: 'native ecotypes vrs introduced organisms, vrs impacts of altered genotypes inserted into a 'native ecosystem'.  It gets quite blurry, very quickly for me.

         I am a big fan of: 'wild pepermint' plant...this plant is so redolant to my senses, it does so well in running water environments, and the variety of bees and other pollinators which brush shoulders in their visits to wild pepermint flowers...makes this plant a pleasure for me to have as neighbor.  My 1975 " Fieldbook of Natural History" 2nd edition/palmer,fowler notes: "Native of Europe. Widely naturalized in America where it grows in relatively thick stands in water soaked or well watered ground.".

         I gently suggest, Liz, that we cosmopolitain commerce /globalized species..have come to terms with organisms as being: 'widely naturalized here in America' ( the 1975 authors second edition comments of practicle evidenced-based ecology)...as well as  a species of virus now being designated:'endemic in con-US'.   I really ask if this 'Giant Asian Resin Bee' is now deemed : stable/endemic in it's locations ( as opposed to the past news storyof)).   'interloper huge moose which trotted down to the lower-48..only to shot dead by a worried homeowner'.  Is it too early, or is it simply rhetoric to label organisms as being: 'endemic vrs native', invasive species vrs introduced species'....our trans oceanic commerce may soon be dwarfted by impacts of 'novel genetic organisms' in our commerce...so meekly I ask: do we give this 'giant asian resin bee' a pass as cute and tender in it's attention to it's brood chambers'?  Is it: 'endemic to it's spreading range'?  Is it 'an introduced species"? Is it an 'invassive species?'.  I respectfully do not expect you to offer comments on any of my queries here...but when and if any have opinions/comments...I'd appreciate the thoughts.  all the best, charlie guevara