2890Re: [beemonitoring] Identifying pollen collected from bees

    Aug 21 1:34 PM
      Jack:

      It's all relative.  I still think that acetolysis is overkill (and often counter-productive) if all you want to do is identify pollen carried by the animal visiting the flower vs. where the insect visited before it visited the host flower.  In my own case, I never count a pollen "species" taken from an insect as "present" unless I find a minimum of 25 identical grains or polyads (Linum, Acacia etc.) on the same slide.  It's a trick I developed in Australia.  I put non-flower visiting flies and beetles in the same killing jar as my acacia-visiting insects and counted the number of solitary grains the non-visitors carried due to contamination in the same jar.  The only "deal-breaker" should be the presence of a pollinarium (orchid or asclepioid) provided you can find viscidium or corpusculum still attached to the insect.

      Of course, comparing pollen DNA extracted from the bee's crop seems a bit much but consider the future possibilities if the technology can be tweaked.  Eventually, it may tell you how many different trees (genotypes) of the same species were visited by the same bee before it was captured.  Based on another Australian project I noticed that some pollen-swallowing colletids invariably regurgitated their harvest if you killed them with fumes of ether or ethyl acetate.  Crop-derived grains are often a bit "chewed up" but are still identifiable following staining with Calberla's fluid.

      "What are you doing, Professor?"

      "I'm staining bee vomit."

      "Oh... that's nice, dear."  (It's always funnier with an Australian accent).

      Peter

      On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...> wrote:

      The paper shows the method works but it seems like methodological overkill.  I would think one could distinguish silversword (Asteraceae) and pukiawe (Ericaceae) pollen by much simpler and cheaper methods than DNA analysis.  It is also not clear if this method gives quantitative results which is what one needs for diet analysis (not just presence or absence of various items).

      best

      Jack