289Re: [beemonitoring] Hymenoptera Catalog for North America north of Mexico now Online

    May 5, 2008
      Thanks Jack:

      Good point I was a little to quick on my "fix" for the Catalog.  One could use the list of names of bees on the individual species DL guides as perhaps a better route given that I go with John's list of acceptable names, those then link to the "other" names list for a better cross-reference.  There will be qualifications there in terms of individual ideas about what are species and what are not, but it should be a more reasonable approximation of a current list of species than the Catalog.

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      And a locust unto Mahomet said: "We are the army of the great God;
      we produce ninety-nine eggs; if the hundred were completed, we should
      consume the whole earth and all that is in it."
          -Arab Legend

      Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...>
      Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      05/05/2008 12:33 PM

      Please respond to
      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      Re: [beemonitoring] Hymenoptera Catalog for North America north of Mexico now Online

      Sam: Users of John's List should be aware that the
      "Other Names" category is not a synonymic list but
      rather a species level list of all names applied to a
      particular taxon at the species level. It is agnostic
      as to whether the many subspecies listed under various
      species are "real" or not, either as subspecies or as
      valid species.

      best

      Jack

      --- Sam Droege <

      http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=krombein>.

      > The Smithsonian Institution provided this
      > contribution through the
      > Biodiversity Heritage Library project.
      >
      > If you click on the image of the book that is above
      > the download
      > options, it will bring up a larger image of the
      > book. From there,
      > follow these instructions:
      >
      > Turning Pages
      > 1. Click any page or use the arrow buttons to go
      > forward or back.
      > 2. Jump to a page by clicking page edges.
      > 3. Type "home" or "end" keys to jump to the
      > beginning or end of a book.
      >
      > Searching a book
      > Enter query in the search box, Click "go". Search
      > results appear on
      > pages marked by yellow stickies.
      >

      > Best regards,
      >
      > Michael Ruggiero
      >

      > P Please don't print this e-mail unless really
      needed.

      Be a better friend, newshound, and