    From: Edward Barrows <barrowse@...>
    To: Richard Orr <odonata457@...>
    Cc: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com; Edward Barrows <barrowse@...>
    Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 5:20 PM
    Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Carpenter Bee Behavior Question

    It looks like about 5 female and 2 male Xylocopa virginica virginica.   Hypothesis: Females were feeding on the goose dropping, possibly obtaining salt.  Two males hovered over the females, contacting females and each other.  The small be is a male of unknown species which chased a male XVV.  The bees concentrated in the area because food, and likely other bees, attracted them.  Other hypotheses, anyone?  Edd Barrows

    On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Richard Orr <odonata457@...> wrote:

    I took this short video yesterday at Fort Frederick State Park in Maryland.
    Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on with these Large Carpenter Bees?

    Be sure to view at full screen and in HD.

    Thanks,

    Richard Orr

  • Show all 7 messages in this topic