2743Re: [beemonitoring] Keying out bee species

  • John Mola
    Jun 3, 2013
      David,

      Do you have access to "Bees of the World" by Michener? I realize this only goes to genus, but I'm not certain if you're already at that point yet or not. If not, that would be a great starting place. If so, then I'm at a loss as genus has usually sufficed for myself.

      Best of luck,

      John

      On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Alison Dibble <adibble2@...> wrote:

      Dear David,

      Discover LIfe is an excellent way to go, and as you become more familiar with it, you will gain confidence. However, there is no substitute for an expert's determination.

      How many specimens are you talking about? Is it possible to do a cogent analysis with bees in broad groups, or genera?

      I  suggest that you will want to get the very best determinations you can for your thesis. While some bees are easy to identify, others are definitely not. If you can get a expert to help you, that will make your study much more meaningful.

      Wishing you best of luck with your study,

      Alison C. .Dibble

      On 6/3/2013 1:31 PM, David Gardner wrote:

      Hello all,

      I have a collection of native bees that are in dire need of keying out down to species. I have attempted to utilize DiscoverLife but I haven't found much help with it. What kind of resources have people found to be particularly useful? The collection is part of my master's thesis on abundance, diversity, and pollination efforts of native bees in urban forest fragments.  Thank you for your time!

      Best,

      David Gardner

      --
      David Gardner