2709Re: Fw: Carolina jessamine

  • pollinator2001
    Apr 23, 2013
      --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, "Carol Jelich" <jrj_csj@...> wrote:
      > I have a Carolina jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens) in my garden and this is the first year that it has bloomed. It is covered with yellow blossoms. I looked it up online to find out more about it, and one thing I see is that it is toxic to non-native bees such as honeybees. (I live in Maryland).
      > Looking at various anecdotal reports, I see that some say that bees avoid it, especially if other pollen sources are available, others say that dead honeybees pile up below the vine. Also toxic to critters, including human ones.

      I'm skeptical about the dead bees piling up. It is mildly toxic; but the worst I've seen is some dead brood, and that is only on the years when it has a heavy bloom. Most years, I think bees either ignore it, or it's such a minor source that it is safely diluted.

      The only thing I'd be concerned about is kids who think this is a kind of honeysuckle and sip the nectar from the flowers. It can make them sick.

      Retired pollination contractor
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic