2699Re: [beemonitoring] pin sizes for bees?

  • H
    Apr 16, 2013
      Gordon- Looks like you have had lot of good comments. I tend to agree more with the folks using 1, 2, and 3's. Here are some of the trade off's and thoughts:
      • #1-3's tend to decrease the handling time over the curatorial life of the insect. This not only includes the initial processing but also sorting, identification, curation, and potential loans.
      • #00-1's may decrease initial processing time versus using points, direct-glue and/or minutens.
      • Proportionality and Art of using the right size pin- "In the eye of the Bee Holder"
      • On very limited budgets I advise buying #2's for the bulk of bee processing. [pure opinion] Most bee specimens can be pinned using #2's and the reminder can be mounted with points/or the direct-glue-method.
      • Thinner pins are more susceptible to corrosion over time - normally bending right at the insect or just below it.
      • The correct pin size for pinning a bee would be one in which the pin inserts just inside of the right parapsidal line and doesn't make a hole large enough to reach the midline of the scutum. Causing a split in the scutum tends to indicate a pin that is too large even if it causes a relatively small hole between the midline and the tegula.
      • Direct-glue, point, or minuten should always be used instead of compromising the scutum. Caution should be taken not to drive the minuten through the right and left plural areas when double mounting very small bees. The Direct-glue method seems faster than the other two method and works well in the field. Using too much glue will obstruct taxonomically important areas on the left side of the bee. Use just enough glue to attach the right plural area to the pin.
      • Some will find that using direct-glue with a larger pin is easier than using #0-00's in the field.
      • In general, the largest pin that preserves the integrity of the exoskeleton should be used.  [pure opinion]
      Finally, Contact the institution that you would like to donate the specimens. If there are specific standards that should be meet, they are the ones to ask.

      Best,

      Harold W Ikerd
      Hikerd@...
      435-227-5711 (Google Voice)
      435-797-2526(work)
      http://biocol.org/urn:lsid:biocol.org:col:33039

      On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM, <Gordon.Hutchings@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      As it is often been stated, there are no dumb questions but I've been
      hesitating to deal with this one so here goes.

      Recently, when I was discussing pinning bees to a contact, he stated to
      make sure I continue to pin all my specimens with a #3 pin or pointing
      my smaller bees. Now, maybe I'm just living in the past but I was taught
      decades ago to pin insects with the appropriate size pin, leaving
      pointing, or minutens, to the very small group of insects. I use #000 to
      #5 for all my insect specimens but this much younger chap stated
      something to me that maybe I should check in with the current protocol
      on pinning. Personally, I still do the old fashioned way and continue to
      pin say a small Hylaeus with a #0 or #1, and a good size Megachile with
      say a #3. It works for me but if one is going to send specimens off, I'd
      like to know where the melittological community stands.

      I guess I have to "get with the program" if it has indeed changed,
      progressed or whatever but for the most part, my specimens are for my
      own purposes until I share or donate to the appropriate institution.

      Thanks,

      Gord

      Gord Hutchings
      Shop 162C U/W Weapons