      Dear Gordon:

      It sounds to me like we need some sort of guidance in the form of a publication in a reviewed journal.  it should have a title like, "Pinning bees must not obliterate critical dorsum characters.

      Frankly, I don't like to point and I'm not a fan of using the Michener method of adding a dab of glue to the pin shaft and letting it adhere to the bee's side.  I find that pointed specimens tend to fall off the point after a few years.  Perhaps I'm not using the preferred flue and would appreciate some advice regarding the choice of brands.  Perhaps we need another publication on the comparative uses of industrial mucilages written in the style of a "Consumer Reports" article.

      On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM, <Gordon.Hutchings@...> wrote:
      You see, this fellow said that I would be "...ruining the specimens if I used anything other than a #3", whatever that means. If I put a #3 through a small Halictus, in my opinion I'd ruin it, that's why I'm asking the question.

      From: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com [mailto:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Peter Bernhardt
      Sent: Monday, 15, April, 2013 14:52 PM
      To: Hutchings GE@FMF@Esquimalt
      Cc: Bee United
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] pin sizes for bees?

      If you are not supposed to use 0, 00 or 000 why do they make them?  Gordon, your email was the first I've heard banning anything less than 3.  I was taught by Michener to never to use anything less than a 1 (point anything too small for a 1) and I followed his instructions for years. Remember, I'm only a botanist and most of the flowers I study are pollinated by bees less than 8-9 mm in length.  .  When I used #1 on some Lasioglossum spp. and small halictids the people identifying my bees complained I was ruining the specimens they wanted to deposit as museum vouchers.  I asked them if I should point them?  Both entomologists said, "Don't you have 0 or 00?  Yes, let's stick with the program but what IS the program?

      On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM, <Gordon.Hutchings@...> wrote:

      As it is often been stated, there are no dumb questions but I've been
      hesitating to deal with this one so here goes.

      Recently, when I was discussing pinning bees to a contact, he stated to
      make sure I continue to pin all my specimens with a #3 pin or pointing
      my smaller bees. Now, maybe I'm just living in the past but I was taught
      decades ago to pin insects with the appropriate size pin, leaving
      pointing, or minutens, to the very small group of insects. I use #000 to
      #5 for all my insect specimens but this much younger chap stated
      something to me that maybe I should check in with the current protocol
      on pinning. Personally, I still do the old fashioned way and continue to
      pin say a small Hylaeus with a #0 or #1, and a good size Megachile with
      say a #3. It works for me but if one is going to send specimens off, I'd
      like to know where the melittological community stands.

      I guess I have to "get with the program" if it has indeed changed,
      progressed or whatever but for the most part, my specimens are for my
      own purposes until I share or donate to the appropriate institution.

      Gord Hutchings
      Shop 162C U/W Weapons
      FMF CFB Esquimalt
      (250) 363-2200