2663RE: [beemonitoring] Osmia simillimia - Floral/ Habitat Habits

  • Cane, Jim
    Apr 2, 2013

      Sam- Osmia simillimia is listed in the big table in my review of nesting habits of Osmia.  Two old records have it in wood and in oak-apple galls with mud closures; a recent note reported communal nesting (!).  With so few records, though, I would not dismiss the possibility of ground-nesting that you allude to.  The citation is:

      Cane, J.H., T.G. Griswold and F.D. Parker. 2007.  Substrates and materials used for nesting by North American Osmia bees.  Ann. Entomol. Soc. Amer. 100(3): 350-358.

      Shall I post a pdf of the paper?

      Jim

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      publications: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/piru/