      From: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com [mailto:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Doug Yanega
      Sent: Wednesday, 27, March, 2013 15:18 PM
      To: beemon
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Bombus ID

      On 3/27/13 2:24 PM, Dana Visalli wrote:

      While I'm at it, I was delighted to see my first wild bee yesterday, on our earliest wildflower, Ranunculus glaberrimus, sagebrush butterup.  Looks like it's keying to Halictus....the terga are fringed with hairs.

      There's no key to western Halictus species available is there, short of driving to Ogden?

      The bee in that photo looks much more like a male Andrena. The head is large, entirely dark, and the abdominal bands look to be thin and non-appressed. There are very few west coast Halictus species, all fairly easily told apart; ligatus, farinosus, and rubicundus are the only non-metallic species.

      Peace,