      To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      From: David_r_smith@...
      Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 08:19:52 -0700
      Subject: [beemonitoring] More bee tips

      To go along with Sam's list:

      if you use whirlpaks to keep samples in from pan trap arrays,
      pre-label them first before going in the field, it'll make running
      your line go a lot faster;

      the wide apperature opening funnels used for adding oil to your car
      engine work good for pouring bees into whirl paks, drying tubes, etc.
      Any auto parts store should have them;

      test your field labels before using them, rub your finger on them to
      make sure the ink doesn't rub off (we barely avoided a disaster a week
      ago);

      if you wash and dry bees, use a good conditioning shampoo (store-brand
      Pert for example). It rinses fast and makes the hairs separate and
      stand up naturally;

      If you use a blow dryer to dry bees be sure to tape the temperature
      control in the cool position, it is easy to slip and end up baking
      bees (if this happens, resoak them in water for a while, that will
      actually rehydrate enough do they aren't too brittle to pin).

      To avoid Dialictus and Perdita, strain your samples through a tennis
      racket (just kidding, seeing if anyone is actually reading these).

      --
      Dave Smith
      U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic