2604Re: [beemonitoring] Re: Field margins - agricultural practices and bee populations

  • Brian Dykstra
    Feb 14, 2013
      Dear Dave,
      This is one paper of a few.  Try googling with google scholar.
      Morandin, Lora A., and Mark L. Winston. 2005. WILD BEE ABUNDANCE AND SEED PRODUCTION IN CONVENTIONAL, ORGANIC, AND GENETICALLY MODIFIED CANOLA. Ecological Applications 15:871–881. http://dx.doi.org/10.1890/03-5271

      On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM, pollinator2001 <Pollinator@...> wrote:

      --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, Michael Eckenfels wrote:
      > I'm curious if anyone has contrasted conventional agriculture with organic, pesticide-free practices in terms of bee density.  Seems that data could serve as a complimentary approach to the current efforts in determining pesticide effects on pollinators.

      Organic is not necessarily pesticide free. And some pesticides that are approved for organic use are toxic to bees. There's some gain by organic practices, but it's not automatic, and bee losses can occur if the pesticides are wrongfully used.

      Retired pollination contractor

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic