2600Re: [beemonitoring] Field margins - agricultural practices and bee populations

  • Brian Dykstra
    Feb 14, 2013
      Hi Sara
      I am not sure what definition of "field margins" you are using.

      Off hand I can think of a number of relevant papers, which do not directly address "field margins", but do examine bee diversity, abundance, pollination, agricultural practices, and spatial scale (amount and distribution of natural ecosystem/non-farm land) and their interaction.

      Kremen et al. 2004. The area requirements of an ecosystem service: crop pollination by native bee communities in California.  Ecology Letters (2004) 7: 1109–1119.

      Morandin, Lora A., and Mark L. Winston. 2005. WILD BEE ABUNDANCE AND SEED PRODUCTION IN CONVENTIONAL, ORGANIC, AND GENETICALLY MODIFIED CANOLA. Ecological Applications 15:871–881. http://dx.doi.org/10.1890/03-5271

      Power EF, Kelly DL, Stout JC (2012) Organic Farming and Landscape Structure: Effects on Insect-Pollinated Plant Diversity in Intensively Managed Grasslands. PLoS ONE 7(5): e38073. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0038073

      Also there are papers which address field margins and bees:
      See this one here which references some great papers on the topic
      Rands SA, Whitney HM (2011) Field Margins, Foraging Distances and Their Impacts on Nesting Pollinator Success. PLoS ONE 6(10): e25971. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0025971

      Good luck!

      On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 6:39 AM, saraguitiprado <sara.guiti.prado@...> wrote:

      Hi Everyone,

      I'm curious to see if anyone knows of any studies where the three way interaction between field margins, agricultural practices (i.e. chemicals, tilling, etc) and bee abundance and diversity has been assessed.

      Are the bees foraging/living in the field margins still affected by agricultural practices? or is the field margin a complete refuge? Is the bee abundance and diversity found in the field margin as high as it could be, or is it not able to reach its maximum because of potential negative effects of chemical drift, tilling, etc.?

      Thanks!

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic