2591Re: [beemonitoring] Bees and Roadkill

  • kimberly huntzinger
    Feb 11, 2013
      I've been wondering about bumble bee kill along bike paths due to those pesky cyclists ;-) because I have noticed quite a few dead bumbles when I run those same paths.  Runners aren't going fast enough to mortally injure the bees that hit us, plus we are softer than bikers (especially lacking is the helmet)...and sweeter...at least I am, I say sorry to the bees that I accidentally bumb into.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Feb 11, 2013, at 6:29 AM, "Droege, Sam" <sdroege@...> wrote:

      All:

      I just came across a small study of road-killed insects in Japan:

      While I think there are some possible errors in their calculations of mortality/ km  (they estimate 5000+ insects per KM, but don't account for days not sampled or loss due to scavenging, capture by car, size of insect, or non-detectability by observer)  it none the less documents that many more insects are killed along roads than I would have expected.

      This study documented only moderate numbers of Hymenoptera in their totals, but their citations indicate that Hymenoptera can make up much larger portions depending on the habitat along the road.

      This study is also intriguing in that the researchers simply walked along the edge of the road and picked up dead insects...which I would have thought would have been difficult to do (and probably represents a gross underestimate of the real kill).

      I think that similar projects would make wonderful student projects, but suggest the following:

      Address the scavenging loss by using marked or known dead insects in sections of roads.

      Address detection rates by having 1 observer seed an area with dead insects and having another count them, using several size classes.

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      A little road not made of man,
      Enabled of the eye,