    Jan 3, 2013
      Thanks Ann....
      Rhododendrons ...that would be interesting....I also don't see honey bees on azaleas that often, but am not sure home complete that segregation would be on our native pinxters...

      On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM, ahworkerb@... <ahworkerb@...> wrote:
      A question about the plants ONLY pollinated by native bees -- are you including bumble bees in the natives? (By the way honey bee is two words like bumble bee.) Honey bees will visit the most profitable source so some plants will not be visited because something else more profitable is in bloom at the same time. One example of this is Rhododendron -- it is visited in other parts of the world (a toxic honey for us to eat) by honey bees but in the US temperate climate area (the Zoo) the honey bees pass it up because other more profitable plants are in bloom. Honey bees can work very tiny flowers -- again depending on what the blossoms are offering.

      It's going to be tough.

      Jim Cane is right -- plant something very desirable (behind a large rock so nobody sees them) to lure the honey bees away.

      Ann Harman

      It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
      Jerome K. Jerome, humorist

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Droege, Sam <sdroege@...>
      To: Bee United <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>; Soulanille, Elaine <SoulanilleE@...>
      Sent: Thu, Jan 3, 2013 11:03 am
      Subject: [beemonitoring] What Plants are ONLY pollinated by native bees and not by honeybees?

      I have been working with the National Zoo here in Washington D.C. as a bee adviser.   As part of their new outdoor bee and pollinator exhibit they would like to have a set of plants that are only pollinated by native bees and would not be pollinated by honeybees.

      I can think of plants that are inefficiently pollinated by honeybees, but because of my weakness in pollination biology am not sure of what plants are ONLY pollinated by native bee species.

      Perhaps some of the orchids?  Super tiny flowers?  Native Wisterias?  I am grasping here....so help me out.

      Are any flowers actually always avoided by honeybees because of the composition of nectar/pollen as opposed to simply the flower's physical characteristics?

      I have copied Elaine Soulanille from the zoo this email so go ahead and copy her on replies.

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...
      I sink back upon the ground, expecting to die. A voice speaks out of my ear, You are not
      going to die, you are being changed into a zebra. You will have black and white stripes
      up and down your back and you will love people as you do not now. That is why you
      will be changed into a zebra that people will tame and exhibit in a zoo. You will be a
      favorite among children and you will love the children in return whom you do not love
      now. Zoo keepers will make a pet of you because of your round, sad eyes and musical
      bray, and you will love your keeper as you do not now. All is well, then, I tell myself
      silently, listening to the voice in my ear speak to me of my future. And what will happen
      to you, voice in my ear, I ask silently, and the answer comes at once: I will be your
      gentle, musical bray that will help you as a zebra all your days. I will mediate between
      the world and you, and I will learn to love you as a zebra whom I did not love as a
      human being.

          - David Ignatow

      Bees are Not Optional

      Bees are Not Optional