2510Re: [beemonitoring] CO2 and bumble bees

  • Anita M. Collins
    Nov 11 5:31 PM
      Honey bee queens are routinely anesthetized with CO2 for artificial insemination and then retreated a day later to help start oviposition.  with workers it does seem to remove short term memory, like location of nectar plants.
      Anita Collins
      Albert Einstein
      On 11/10/12, elaineceleste<fuzzybumblebee@...> wrote:

      RE knocking bees out temporarily for ID......I remember some studies from the 90s that found increased larval ejection in bumble bee colonies following CO2 narcosis of workers. I haven't looked into this lately to know if people figured out all of what was going on there, but I've been avoiding its use to be on the safe side.

      Elaine Evans
      PhD Student, Dept of Entomology
      University of Minnesota
      219 Hodson Hall, 1980 Folwell Ave