      From: Kvisberglien Evie Christiansen <evie.christiansen@...>
      To: "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, November 9, 2012 1:59 AM
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Alternative Methodology Question

      I have seen that the experienced field workers here use compressed CO2, the kind used for bicycles (used for filling flat tires). They are available in any decent size sports store and are in a handy size. It knocks the bumble bee out for long enough to identify it, and it seems unharmed when it takes off again.

      They simply put the bumble bee in a dram glass (with a few holes in the lid). Insert the tip of the CO2-container (small and handheld, fits in your pocket) and give the bumble bee a doze. I haven’t seen it tested on bees, but I suppose it works on them as well.

      The ones that can’t be identified in the field can be brought home for proper id.

      I plan to use this method next summer for my next project J

      Best regards
      Evie Christiansen Kvisberglien

      Norwegian Public Roads Administration

      Before printing, think about the environment

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic