2498RE: [beemonitoring] Alternative Methodology Question

  • Greenstone, Matt
    Nov 8, 2012

      Although I’m not a bee biologist – I’m on this list because I have used bee bowls to collect parasitic wasps – I hope that what I say will be helpful.

      The sad irony of being a Biologist of any kind - of studying, and loving, living things - is that most life science disciplines require the killing of one’s subjects at some point, sometimes often, and when working on communities of organisms, almost continuously. This is especially true for arthropods, and will remain true until the day that the non-invasive Star-Trek-style “tri-corder” is invented. The best we can hope for at this point is to keep the killing to a minimum, and possibly to foreswear work on populations facing extinction.

      A few months ago I gave a short presentation to a group of volunteers on my parasitoid work that included an image of a whirl-pak crammed full of all of the native bees collected in 72 hours from a standard Sam Droege array of nine traps, explaining this profusion as an unfortunate “by-catch” – terrible word, almost as bad as “collateral damage!” - of my work on parasitoids. They were appalled and so was I (in my defence, the bees will all be identified and used for a publication on the native bees of the area).

      What one really needs to know in a case like this, and for one’s peace of mind,  is how large a dent we are making in local bee populations. I suspect that in floristically diverse habitats the impact is extremely small. Perhaps someone on the List can refer us to some representative density bee data?

      Respectfully,

      Matt Greenstone

      P.S. As a DNA bar-coder, I firmly believe that the day of the tri-corder is not far off. We just need to be able to read base-pair sequences without hurting the organism. If we can identify the molecules in stars 10 billion light-years away, surely we’ll crack this problem as well; let us hope in Jessica’s lifetime.

      mhg