      From: Jack Neff
      Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 19:05
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Alternative Methodology Question

      Jessica:  There are no reliable no-kill methods for assessing bee diversity at the species level.  With practice, it is not hard to recognize most genera without killing them, either while in flight or capturing and examining them with a handlens (holding females with a gloved hand) but this takes a lot of experience and will not be easy for a novice.  Various folks try to identify things via high quality macrophotos of live insects but even these will be insufficient for many taxa since the relevant characters often are not visible in the pictures.  Some people have tried chilling live bees and examining them under a scope but in the absence of vouchers or a proven ability to identify things this way, I have no idea how reliable this technique is.

      best