2467Re: [beemonitoring] Eucerini

  • Nicholas Stewart
    Oct 20 6:28 PM
      While an EXCELLENT resource, that reference is now a bit taxanomically out-dated. The most obvious example, more-so than the Eucerini, is the use of the now defunct Family Anthophoridae - which for the most part have been nestled in the Apidae.

      Try "Bees of the World" by Michener, THE book on bees - As well as the online resources DiscoverLife.org & BugGuide.net, both excellent for ID, biogeography & up-to-date taxonomy.

      Good Luck!!

      On Friday, October 19, 2012, Dana Visalli wrote:

      I'm trying to put together a simple key (note oxymoron) to bee families and genera of my area--
      northern Washington State--just as an exercise in getting oriented.  I'm using 'The Bee Genera
      of North & Central America' as a guide.
      The questions of the moment: 1) Eucera is not in that book; why would that be?  Ross Arnett's
      'American Insects' 1985 edition says there is only one species of Eucera in NA.  DiscoverLife
      lists 9 species....but not E. frater, the one on a list I have for Central Washington. 2) What's
      going on with Eucera?
      3) How does one split Eucera from Melissodes?
      4) Forgive me if I've asked this before, but is there a bee species list extant for Washington State
      or for the Pacific Northwest?
      Thanks very much,
      Dana Visalli
      Twisp, WA

      *Efforts in Sustainable Native Pollination Services *
      Nicholas Glynn Stewart
      * *
      *   Project Designer,** Lead Researcher, **Primary Taxonomist**
       nick.s2art@...*                               (404) 784-6236*
      * **
      *GA Native Pollinator Laboratory, A1300*
      *1000 University Center Lane**
      *Lawrenceville, GA 30043*

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic