2432Re: [beemonitoring] Bee ID

  • Cory Sheffield
    Sep 27, 2012
      It is Agapostemon.

      Females of several species are entirely green, though males will have the black, yellow (and/or hints of green) on the abdomen.  Typically, Agapostemon are more coarsely sculptured than augochorine bees, at least in North America...as this one appeasrs to be,

      On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Brian Dykstra <brianjdykstra@...> wrote:

      Dana,

      The bright shiny green metallic sheen (including the abdomen) hints at the genus Augochlora, a green sweat bee (Halictidae family). I am not read up or experienced as far as what species might be recorded for W, or what bees might look similar there (other than Agapostemon which does not have a solid green abdomen).
      Brian

      On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Dana Visalli <dana@...> wrote:

      I'll bet someone will recognize this little beauty, seen on 'Mariposa Lily' (Calochortus macrocarpus), presumably
      in July here in northcentral Washington.  Thanks for any help.    Dana

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic