2311RE: [beemonitoring] Sources for Plant Nectar

  • Cane, Jim
    Sep 4, 2012

      Jack is right, I would not want to hand collect enough nectar for feeding for most plants.  If you resort to centrifugation, keep the RPMs down, as I found with alfalfa buds that you can also extract phloem sap!  If I were to manually collect nectar from one readily available plant, it would be a summer squash, esp zucchini.  Each flower has a veritable lake of nectar in it (up to 120 ul) that is readily removed with a syringe (ideally with a blunt-tipped one).  Mature buds can be bagged the night before so you aren’t competing with bees early the next morning.  If you live in a place where bat-pollinated flowers can be grown or grow, then there are some other options like this (e.g. agave and some bat-pollinated vines).  But for sheer convenience, squash.

      yours

      Jim

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      publications: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/piru/