2101Rare orchid with bee

    Apr 3 10:41 AM
    • 1 Attachment
    • 5.6 MB
    Dear Colleagues:

    Once again I request an identification of a bee on a flower...if possible.
     The warm-hot March in the midwest triggered the early flowering of a
    number of native species includlng rare orchids.  Attached is a photo of a
    whorled pogonia (*Isotria verticilla) *taken at a Missouri site a few days
    ago.  This species once had a wide range (from New England to east Texas),
    and was mentioned in one of Thoreau's journals, but has has grown
    increasingly rarer over the past 150 years.  It is usually treated as a
    victim of habitat destruction.  Its sister species, *I medeoloides *is even
    rarer.

    I doubt that the bee perched on the lip petal (labellum) is the true
    pollinator but you have to start somewhere.

    Peter