      To: sdroege@...
      CC: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com; dominicev@...
      From: zachariah.j.gezon@...
      Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 08:24:54 -0500
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Catching insects with beer

      Hey guys,

      I used to draw in butterflies in Costa Rica by mashing bananas and pouring in a little rum.  It is shockingly effective.  I haven't tried booze & bees . . .

      Zak

      On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Sam Droege <sdroege@...> wrote:

      All:

      I received the note below from one of our roach researcher colleagues.

      Feel free to contact Dominic for more details.

      sam

      ----- Forwarded by Sam Droege/BRD/USGS/DOI on 02/29/2012 08:36 AM -----

      From:Dominic Evangelista <dominicev@...>
      To:sdroege@...
      Date:02/27/2012 12:57 PM
      Subject:Catching insects with beer

      Hi Mr. Droege,

      One of my fellow graduate students forwarded me your recent email about adding beer to traps for bees. I actually use beer pitfall traps to collect cockroaches in the tropics. If any of your contacts are collecting cockroaches I would be very interesting in having the bycatch. I have noticed that most people don't identify their cockroaches in ecological studies (probably because there is no good key for roaches). I am developing a key so I may be able to identify these specimens to genus if anyone is interested. I don't know what else I could offer but I am willing to take requests! Thanks!

      --
      Dominic Evangelista
      Rutgers University - Newark

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      Poema del City

      I live in the city.
      It's a tough life,
      often unpleasant, sometimes
      downright awful. But it has what
      we call its compensations.

      To kill a roach, for example,
      is to my mind not pleasant
      but it does develop one's reflexes.
      Wham!
      and that's that.
      Sometimes, though, the battered roach
      will haul itself onto broken legs and,
      wildly waving its bent antennae,
      stagger off into the darkness

      to warn the others, who live in the shadow
      of the great waterfall in their little teepees.
      Behind them rise the gleaming brown and blue mass
      of the Grand Tetons, topped with white snow
      that blushes, come dawn, and glows, come dusk.
      Silent gray wisps rise from the smouldering campfires.

           - Ron Padgett

      --
      Zak Gezon
      PhD Candidate, Dartmouth College