1905RE: [beemonitoring] Dialictus at high elevations

  • Julio A. Genaro
    Jan 12, 2012

      Hi Dave

      Interesting findings about Dialictus!

      I found in Dominican Republic, Valle Nuevo National Park that Lasioglossum  sp, Habralictellus group  was active at 7 500 feet. When Apis was not active sometimes. Here Diptera replaced Hymenoptera at flowers because of low temperatures.  Interesting, this species is quite hairy (because of the chill?)

      I put a female inside a glass bottle during all night long (that night temperature was around  0 ยบC) without dying. She woke up alive!

      Meters away for this place and a little bit lower (~5 600 feet) I collected very active males belonging to another new species. It is interesting to note that both new species males have the genal area well produced.

      Sugbenus Sudila also occurs  in mountains of India, Java and Sri Lanka as many forms do in Hispaniola's high mountains.

      It looks like that Lasioglossum in some cases is well adapted to live where other bee species not.

      Best wishes

      Julio A Genaro

      To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      From: David_r_smith@...
      Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:52:26 -0700
      Subject: [beemonitoring] Dialictus at high elevations

      Hi All,

      I am pan trapping bees at different elevations in northern Arizona.  In October at ~9,000 feet, Dialictus are the only genera caught in the traps.  They pretty much dominate all season, but they have a real obvious presence early and late in the season.  Andrena are very plentiful in July and August;  Bombus show up in August and September; but Dialictus are the diehards.

      I have read where Bombus, being large and hairy can thermoregulate some and thrive at high elevations.  Is there a physiological or behavioral rationale that allows a small black sweat bee to persist so long into the season (it was snowing when we collected are samples in October 2010)?

      Dave Smith
      U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
      323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
      Flagstaff, AZ  86001
      (928) 226-0614 x 109
      "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic