183Re: [beemonitoring] cardboard tubes, various sizes and intro.

  • Jack Neff
    Feb 8, 2008
      Michael: You probably won't be able to get the range
      of straws you mention (2-10 mm) without spending some
      serious coin as most sizes would have to be custom
      manufactured. For relatively small lots, an easy
      technique is simply using a handheld drill to bore
      single holes in pieces of pine molding cut to
      appropriate lengths. (see Krombein, 1967 "Trapnesting
      Wasps and Bees...." Parting strip works fine for the
      smallest sizes (2-4 mm), 3/4x3/4 for the intermediate
      sizes and 1x1 for the largest. Extra long drill bits
      are available in all but the smallest sizes. In the
      real world, a 12 cm, 8 mm nest is unlikely to be fully
      utilized so shorter holes are usually readily
      accepted. If of decent quality (no knots), the
      individual are easily split to inspect the nests, and
      unlike straws, can be opened and closed many times.
      This is also an advantage over routed nests although
      the latter are much cheaper on a per nest basis..

      best

      Jack Neff
      --- Michael Wilson <mwilso14@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > My name is Michael Wilson. I'm a graduate student at
      > the University of
      > Tennessee, Knoxville and am doing a study on native
      > bees in our area,
      > primarily at cucurbit plantings. I'm glad to have
      > found this group and
      > have enjoyed reviewing the material.
      >
      > Part of my project is to put out various size trap
      > nests in different
      > areas to asses 'stick nesting' bee presence.
      > Ideally, I would like a
      > wide variety of diameter of cardboard tubes from 2mm
      > - 10mm to use as
      > explained in Practical Pollination Biology. I have
      > some reed inter
      > nodes, but not as many as I would like. We also
      > routed out some boards
      > to stack, but only have 2 different sizes of router
      > bits to choose
      > from and have been unable to find more bit sizes.
      >
      > Question:
      > Is there a reasonable place to buy a wide variety of
      > cardboard tube
      > diameters?
      >
      > The places I've seen on the internet either require
      > bulk (very bulk)
      > purchasing or only have the size for the Blue
      > Orchard Bees. I may
      > drill sticks and blocks or try and find some more
      > reeds if I can't get
      > a variety of tubes. Are there other options?
      >
      > Also, anyone know when putting out nests in my area,
      > (East Tennessee)
      > will be too late to get some species? I'm thinking
      > as long as I have
      > everything out by the end of February I'll be OK.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Michael Wilson

      Be a better friend, newshound, and