1806Re: Prosopis juliflrora question

  • Jaime A. Florez
    Oct 30, 2011
      Hi Asif,

      I have worked in coffee pollination and in some sense there are similar challenges because the flowers are crowded in a branch, not in an inflorescence as in your case, but push you to think in kind of similar alternatives. Some ideas that came to my mind were:

      1. Since the number of flowers in a raceme is too large (and surely you don't want to count them all in each raceme of your experiment) I would try to see if there is a good-enough correlation between total raceme length and number of flowers per raceme. A friend of mine did something similar in to avoid a long process too - like counting flowers in your case - and it worked. He got a correl. coef higher than 0.9 so he went for that option. If you are lucky too - which I think is highly possible given the related variables - you could be able to measure total raceme length and estimate the number of flowers from that.

      2. Based on the 'hopefully good correlation' you could get from above, you could do some pilot pollination experiments to see if there is a bee pollination effect.

      3. If you interest behind this experiment is to provide food (the Prosopis pods) for animals - as one of the common uses of Prosopis - I would try to relate the pollination experiments to pod weight.

      4. However, after weighting the pods, you can also select just some of them to count seeds too (and why not, test if the pod weight of those subsamples is related with number of seeds per pod). Doing that you will get a measurement of seed set: if the relation between raceme-lenght is good, you will be able to estimate number of flowers from that and relate that number with the number of seeds per raceme

      I hope my comments will help you, though they are pretty basic. I know that when one deals with plant species like Propopis, where flowers are crowded in an inflorescence, pollination experiments could be tricky to design.

      Jaime A. Florez
      PhD student
      Dept. Biology & Ecology Center. Utah State Univ.
      Logan, Utah. USA

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic