1722Re: [beemonitoring] pocket gopher mounds and bees

    Aug 4 9:29 AM
      Charley:

      Very interesting.  Do you know the trick of upending clear drinking glasses over the nest holes to see who might home in those burrows?

      Also do you think the ants actually made those mounds or are simply nesting in a mound that something else built (like an old burrowing crawfish mound ...)

      The Defenders

      I love the courage
      of the little black ants
      who when disturbed
      come out of their old
      fencepost as big dogs
      come after a rat,
      take hold of me,
      shake me, and growl.

      - Wendell Berry

      From:Charley Eiseman <ceiseman@...>
      To:Cheryl Fimbel <cfimbel@...>
      Cc:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      Date:08/04/2011 11:55 AM
      Subject:Re: [beemonitoring] pocket gopher mounds and bees
      Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      This spring I saw a number of Lasioglossum bees nesting in a Formica ant mound (as discussed here: http://bugtracks.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/bee-burrows/), and it seems plausible that the same thing might happen in soil excavated by a mammal, though I haven't come across it.  It would be a similar case of another animal providing bees with otherwise unavailable bare soil.  I'd be curious to hear if anyone has heard of or seen bees nesting in ant mounds before.

      Charley Eiseman

      On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Cheryl Fimbel <cfimbel@...> wrote:

      Is anyone aware of the use of pocket gopher or mole mounds (the mounds of dirt they push up onto the surface) by bees in any way?

      Thank you,

      Cheryl Fimbel

      Olympia WA

      --