      From: Peter Loring Borst <peterlborst1@...>
      To: Charles Guevara <icecilliate123@...>
      Sent: Sun, April 17, 2011 11:45:03 AM
      Subject: Re: Fw: [beemonitoring] Coevolution

      --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, Charles Guevara <icecilliate123@...> wrote:
      > our churned up environments 'give off so much noise' ...

      Ah ha! You have hit upon the exact problem. What is noise in this case? When one designs a "noise filtering algorithm", one commences with a precise definition of what is signal and what is noise.

      To simply apply a particular hypothesis to a noisy data set and sort for that -- is fatal to discovering anything except the data that completely agree with the hypothesis, and disregarding the rest!

      That's why we must commence with the null hypothesis, that nothing is correlated and the field is a hodge podge, and attempt to disprove that. If the evidence is overwhelming for lack of correlation, then what?

      PLB

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic