1451Re: [beemonitoring] Bee collecting cactus spines? [1 Attachment]

  • Doug Yanega
    Apr 5, 2011
      >I have attached a picture of this bee, and was wondering if someone
      >might recognize it and/or explain the behavior.

      The areoles of Opuntia definitely produce extra-floral necctar, and
      are visited by all sorts of bees, wasps, and flies. The only slightly
      odd thing is that this is generally most obvious on the young growth,
      and this bee is clearly visiting an older pad. Of course, bees are
      smart enough that they might learn that areoles are good nectar
      sources - after foraging nearer the meristem - and be persistent
      about checking out areoles that may no longer be producing
      significant nectar rewards.