1448Bee collecting cactus spines?

  • Chanda Henne
    Apr 5 6:47 AM
    Hi all,

    I was out recently to take pictures of bees in the open prickly pear cactus flowers, and noted a bee spending a lot of time around the spines.  At first I thought it was a halictid due to its blue-green color, but after examining the photos, I am not so sure anymore.  My next thought was Osmia, but am a little confused by the behavior.  I know some bees will collect other plant parts for nesting, but I didn't think Osmia was one of those groups.  I have attached a picture of this bee, and was wondering if someone might recognize it and/or explain the behavior.  The picture was taken at the Arroyo Colorado birding center park in Harlingen, TX.

    Thanks,
    Chanda

  • Show all 5 messages in this topic